Monday, April 23, 2012

Beltaine... May Day...


Beltaine... May Day...

    I have always had a place in my heart and childhood for Spring rites, and May Day was always the best. As a child, we learned about May Day and it's roots in school (sadly not taught much here in America any longer) and even did the May Pole Dance as a school project during the Spring Fairs. The events that bring about the 'new life' were the center of my life during the first few weeks of Spring, and I watched in wonder as the plants and animals around me aged and grew so quickly from my 'snails pace' growing. It was here, at about the age of 8, that I discovered that time moved differently for everything.
    Beltaine has been a wonderful time for all the peoples of the Earth in one form or another, and by several various names and cultural traditions. A time of 'new beginnings', a time of community gatherings, a time for planting, a time to revel in making it through the harsh winters months and finding life springing out all around us. Trade and wars were halted just to revel in life affirming ceremony and ritual feasts were held in honor of lords and ladies, Gods and Goddess alike. Truly a time to be with friends and families.

    Much honor is given to our Gods and our gratitude bestowed upon alters and fields ready for a new season. This was a cause for many to take hand in hand and celebrate rejuvenation of the land. And here I hold fond memories, as I once also I embraced a lover and friend on a Beltaine morning in a field ready to be planted. Memories from that day have carried me a long way, and always have been part of my ritual. There is a lot to be said about sex magic... but not here, not now. To May Day instead...
    This year my 'home community' hosts once again their May Day festival just outside Memphis, Tennessee. This years theme is 'Back to the Roots', and I definitely cannot wait. A trip back there is always good for me, and to be there with them at festival is even better. Rekindling old acquaintances, meeting new friends, swapping old and new stories and just soaking up the Mississippi River's wonderful energy in the forest.            Yeah, it is a 35 year tradition for us, and I have only missed a few times since my first attendance in 1994. There is a lot of history there, and most any Pagan in the Mid South can tell you a bit of it as well.

    Also May Day (May 1st) this year is a call to strike by the members of the Occupy local, state and National movement along with Occupy Wall Street. Why? They remember May Day as the Labor Unions day of rest. It is a day to celebrate life, not to toil away one's life for others. Unions and non-union workers are all being encouraged to take the day off. Students of schools, colleges and universities, as well as teachers are being invited to take a day out of class. Families are being challenged not to shop, bank, or do any type of non-family engagement also. It's all about celebrating life with the people in your life that matter.
    I know that I am going to enjoy myself this Beltaine. I am co-hosting an event on the 29th of April for our local Pagans here in Idaho Falls. I will be traveling down for family and friends in the Mid-South for the May Day Festival (11th – 13th). And somewhere along the way, I will try to find a nice field, ready for planting...  

1 comment:

  1. Nice field ready for planting would be nice. I too have fond memories of that early Beltaine morning

    ReplyDelete